What does it mean to be a GREEN BUSINESS?
What practices have you implemented to earn your GREEN CERTIFICATION?
We shall strive to incorporate sustainability into our core operations through internal and external efforts. Specifically, we shall adopt the following policies and practices:
- Minimize pharmaceutical waste, dispose of waste properly and educate customers.
- Conserve energy, water and natural resources.
- Commit to purchasing environmentally preferable products.
- Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
- Promote environmental education, outreach and awareness to our staff and the greater community.
Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
- Use recycled and reusable containers equipment as its available and seek the most responsible means for disposal.
- Reduce our waste stream by increasing our recycling and composting capabilities to 85% diversion from the landfill.
- Strive to increase waste diversion by recycling all paper, cardboard, wood, metals, bottles, plastics, packaging and cans.
- Compost all food and landscape waste.
- Discourage the use of disposable products by using washable/reusable items.
- Reduce the waste generated by donating reusable office items (appliances, electronic equipment, and furniture) to charitable organizations.
- Reuse envelopes and packaging.
- Promote the use of natural lighting and purchase renewable energy.
- Institute a policy to turn off lighting and appliances in unoccupied rooms.
- Conserve water with the installation new toilets or displacing water in the flush tank.
- Plant native drought tolerant plants and use water-conserving irrigation systems.
We shall reduce the use of toxic materials to protect employee health and the environment. Specifically we shall -
- Reduce use of and properly dispose of hazardous material, including disinfectants, sanitizers, dyes, medicine at hazardous waste facilities.
- Segregate medical and pharmaceutical waste and dispose of through licensed haulers for incineration.
- Inform customers of proper disposal protocols for medicine and that drugs should not be put down the drain.
- Purchase low to non-toxic janitorial cleaning products (only those approved for use by the CA Green Business Program). Certified by Green Seal, UL Ecologo, EPA Safer Choice or a GoodGuide.com score of 8+.
- Switch to recycled content products, materials and supplies when available.
- Purchase Low VOC paints, markers and non-toxic air fresheners.
- Recycle universal wastes (electronics, batteries, fluorescent light tubes, used motor oil) and prohibit purchasing materials that may lead to hazardous waste generation.
- Purchase rechargeable batteries and appliances only.
- Promote storm water pollution through minimizing outdoor water runoff.
Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
We shall purchase/use the following:
- 100% post-consumer bags for medicine and other products.
- Remanufactured and refillable toner cartridges.
- Office paper with 100% recycled content (30%+ post-consumer minimum), bathroom and kitchen paper with at least 30% post-consumer as well.
- Products with the least packaging (no plastic, polystyrene or aerosol packaging).
- Recycled content-containing office furniture and supplies.
- Refillable bottles, canvas bags and reusable to-go containers.
- LED lighting and Energy Star appliances and electronics.
- Water efficient toilets, showerheads and faucet aerators.
- Provide disposable bags, offer paper bags made from 100% post-consumer waste recycled content rather than plastic bags.
We shall conserve energy by:
- Using LED Lights
- Driving a hybrid vehicle
- Purchasing 100% renewable energy